Friday, October 17, 2008

Visual Thoughts


Dreams have been distracting me for years.Some I remember, some I don't.Another interesting thing about dreams, you remember the last one until you dream the next one. Before I can resolve the first, there is another one.They keep tormenting me like this.Some intrigue me, others kindle my thoughts. All this happens in a sinusoidal fashion. The ebb and flow happens every other night I dream. Sivananda (a Hindu Monk) says very beautifully "The sun is the source and the temporary resting place of its rays. The rays emanate from the sun and spread in all directions at the time of sunrise. They enter into the sun at sunset, lose themselves there and come out again at the next sunrise. Even so the state of wakefulness and dream come out from the state of deep sleep and re-enter it and lose themselves there to follow the same course again"

What intrigues me about dreams is the visual aspect of it.I am so able to remember vividly everything that happens in my dream world. It helps me to conceive my ideas and my thoughts in a visual way. It convinces me at that time, but all in a dream. What frustrates me is why cannot I think the way I dream, Visually? We think along the boundaries of the language we are comfortable with. As a result,we limit our thoughts, our ideas reflecting on our creativity and ability to innovate.

On researching I came across the life of Temple Grandin who has been diagnosed with autism.Sometimes it needs disability to achieve the impossible. She thrives on this aspect of thinking Visually. She articulates it more vividly in her paper "Thinking in Pictures"

"Visual imagination has no boundaries. Think like You Dream"

No comments: