Thursday, January 27, 2011

School Days


There has been reams and reams written about our life at schools, memories of schools, friends at school and there will be even more written. That's how the school life is!! You don't appreaciate it then, but it becomes a part of your later life.

I thought my Blog will be incomplete, without my thoughts on school. What triggered this was a simple Pushpa remark about Viggy and the conversations that followed us, during our walk. Mind is factory of thoughts...that never stops. Here is my ramble about School days...

As a child I remember, the first encounter with the outer world was my School. It was a window to the world for me. Kindergarten especially, was like Facebook in my early years. A space where I went every day to interact, hear and see what's in the mind of other kids. What they liked, how they interacted etc.. without being judged, not being questioned, never stopped...it was pure unconditioned learning

The school day would start - forcefully being dragged out of my bed by my parents. Then having a quick breakfast and walking to school was the order of the day. For me,the learning started right there. The moment I stepped out, walking by those lanes completely distracted - it took me a while to reach to school. Learning - week days, months, colours, fruit, vegetables and recognizing them were just a small part of studies. Getting appreciation by teachers meant a lot. Learning rhymes, playing with other kids, getting injuries became daily routine. Slowly I learnt one more thing... that scoring good grades was most everyone cared about.

As a child I began to understand the meaning and value of school only when I reached primary classes. And again a new collection of memories got attached. Celebrating independence day, republic day, birthdays, participating in various extracurricular activities added thrill to life. Turning page of those reminiscences in the form of snaps add new life even today. Recollecting those days with teachers and classmates on Facebook makes me feel little lighter now as I share this Blog.

Then the memories of internal exams and their result still cold the nerves. Reaction of my parent when the result was not up to their expectations, Horror of Board exams, all the sleepless nights and then the result all together - a bunch of most nervous moments of schooldays.

Prizes, medals, certificate and appreciation were the part of those days. Lot of stress, competition, struggle was the part but still a healthy atmosphere. Many friends and memories become life long companions were the gift of school. Sharing lunch with classmates, hanging in the school canteens and helping each other in completing their pending home work was satisfying. Today they just remain... as recollections of school days.

Excess pressure of studies and getting good marks, discipline of school and strictness of teachers were the most frightening part of those days.But inspite of all it was fun, new excitement everyday and few worries were the highlights of those school days.

Every time I drop my son to school my eyes begin to swim in those memories of my school days. I see the children turn their back to me and get drawn to those narrow corridors of learning and as I wish if I could go back and get lost in those corridors once again!!!




No comments: