Thursday, June 4, 2009

Kites


Last night a stray cough woke me up and kept me disturbed. The allergies were at work again. Sleep was around but not near my eyes. It was dark and quiet... my mind was wandering. Again, not sure if I was dreaming or awake.

Then suddenly the scene changed and I was staring at the golden sky almost like liquid gold, decorated with a kite. Ah! yes, it was a kite. As it soared it transported me back to those evenings in my early teens. Kite flying was my passion. It was a constant game of control. Each day ended with a new challenge.No video games, no television, no internet, no girls, no movies could tie me down like the kite did.I dreamt to set free like the kite. There was a burning desire to rise above and soar to explore the medley of the golden clouds

Life's lessons were learnt through this passion. Anyone who's flown a kite knows they don't typically go up in a straight line. They meander left and right--even in loops. Life's journey can feel like this. There are times when I become complacent. I think I have mastered the angles and become disenchanted. But then the wind shows up!

Kite flying, and "Life Walk", continues but lacks heart sometimes. Things can fall because I am not paying attention.Like in kite flying, catching the wind is tricky business, as it is about faith in yourself. The force of a gentle breeze gentle breeze or strong blast cannot be seen. The outstretched flag or swaying trees prove that the wind exists because they have been touched. Eh! like we need to prove God's existence.

Sometimes the wind, without warning, seems to disappear completely, and the kite falls. Quick tugs on the string may reconnect it to the wind. Other times a full-scale sprint in the opposite direction is necessary. Sometimes nothing can be done to alter the course. Some other times,it can be frustrating.

The wind, like God's presence, can seem to be everywhere except where I am. Others seem to be sailing along effortlessly. These are times I must return to the beginning. I need to check my position, angle, speed, then wait again at the prepare -string stage.

But then when the kite returns to the air, I'm filled with wonder and hope
.

No comments: